måndag 25 augusti 2014

Mystery Monday - Noak Larson from ?


Two years ago a man contacted me through Ancestry. He had been searching for information about his great grandfather Noa Larsson who had emigrated to the states from Sweden in 1891. I had a Noak Alexandersson born in 1869 in Lidhult, whose father's last name was Larson. Could these two be the same person? Sure looked like it. I did not have time at that moment to look further into the matter and we did not have any more contact about it.

Then, a few weeks ago, I got a new message from Noah's great grandchild, saying that he was coming to Sweden and asking if we could meet. So last Friday he came to Halmstad and I showed him around. We talked about Noah and what we thought were our joint relatives. The day after we planned to go to Lidhult, Odensjö and Femsjö where our ancestors had lived. But something did not add up... and it bothered me.

When I came home that evening I started looking into that side of my family tree and it turned up that I had not looked into it at all. When I met Noah's great grandchild the next day I told him that I had some bad news and some good news. The pad news was that my Noak and his Noah were not the same, mine never left Lidhult. The good new was that I thought that I had found his Noah, and he was born in the to Odensjö neighbouring parish Torpa. First I had thought that to find Noah's origins would be to look for a needle in a hay stack. Turns out that in the late 1860's it was only common in the area around Ljungby in Kronoberg Couty to name your children Noak and in 1868 there was only one Noak born in Sweden whose father was named Lars. Turns out that Noak's mother was born in Femsjö where we had planned to go and her father was born in Lidhult, where our original plans also would take us. But I was still not a hundred percent sure. We visited the village of Lidhult before going to Torpa. We visited the church where Noah probably had been christened and we also found the village where he was born and grew up. After that we visited some of my relatives where we had traditional Swedish fika - coffe, cinnamon buns, spunge cake and seven kinds of cookies. Our trip then took us to the village of Odensjö on the shores of Bolmen, followed by lunch at Tiraholm by the same lake. Our final destination was the village of Femsjö where we learned about Elias Fries who gave latin names to mushrooms, much like Carl Von Linné gave names to other plants.

That evening I continued my research on Noah and together with his great grandchild we managed to confirm my suspitions that his Noah was born in Torpa in 1868. Felt really good to know that his trip to Halland and Småland had not been in vain. And with his ties to Lidhult, Torpa and Femsjö the probabilaty that we are related in some way are really high.

So this is a genealogy mystery that I managed to solve. :)

Your Swedish Heritage http://linnlinns.wix.com/swedish-heritage
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/yourswedishheritage
Instagram: http://instagram.com/yourswedishheritage
Twitter: https://twitter.com/swedheritage
Google +: https://plus.google.com/u/0/107062009006289990073/posts Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/urswedishherita/

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar